The City Headlines
Ludhiana, September 21
Justin Trudeau has become the Prime Minister of Canada yet again. However, his Liberal Party failed to gain an absolute majority. As per the reports, the preliminary results with 98% votes counted show that Liberal’s were leading in 158 seats, short of 170 needed for the majority in the House of Commons.
The results were almost similar to the elections two years ago as then also, Liberals had won 157 seats. The Conservatives were leading in 119 seats, New Democrats in 25, Bloc Québécois in 34 and Green in 2.
It is to be noted that there will be a sizeable contingent of Indo-Canadians in the House of Commons. The media reports suggest that as many as 18 candidates from the Indo-Canadian community have won their seats in the Canadian elections.
- Anita Anand (LPC) has won from Oakville, Ontario.
- From Burnaby South, NDP’s Jagmeet Singh has been re-elected.
- Bardish Chagger comfortably won from Waterloo, Ontario.
- Harjit Sajjan was also re-elected from Vancouver South.
- George Chahal of the Liberal Party defeated Conservative MP Jag Sahota in Calgary Skyview, Alberta.
- Kamal Khera from Brampton West, Ruby Sahota from Brampton North, Sonia Sidhu from Brampton South and Arif Virani from Parkdale-High Park have also won.
- Sukh Dhaliwal in Metro Vancouver retained his Surrey-Newton seat.
- Randeep Sarai also won from Surrey.
- Anju Dhillon also won from Dorval-Lachine-LaSalle in Quebec.
However, Geet Grewal, who is reportedly Punjab singer and actor Parmish Verma’s girlfriend, lost to Brad Vis in Mission-Matsqui-Fraser Canyon.