The City Headlines
Ludhiana, October 1
MBD Group celebrated 65th Establishment Day on September 30. The journey of the group started in the year 1956, under the leadership of Ashok Kumar Malhotra. Various CSR activities were conducted at Radisson Blu Hotel MBD Ludhiana, MBD Neopolis mall Jalandhar, MBD House Jalandhar, Radisson Blu MBD Noida and Jijeevisha the Humanity Children Education Center, New Seema Puri New Delhi.
As part of the CSR activity, kids from various NGOs were invited for a movie screening and dining at the hotel’s Brasserie ‘The Chocolate Box’.
Monica Malhotra Kandhari, Managing Director, MBD Group said, “I am extremely delighted to announce our group’s successful completion of 65 glorious years. Over these years, we have grown bigger, better, stronger in different ways, following our founder Shri Ashok Kumar Malhotra’s core values of integrity, and inclusive culture. We have transformed from a small book shop in Jalandhar to become one of the leading education and hospitality brands in India”.
Speaking on the occasion, Sonica Malhotra Kandhari, Joint Managing Director, MBD Group said, “This is an incredible milestone for our company and we have achieved great success through the hard work, innovative spirit, passion and dedication of our team members. This special day also serves as a perfect opportunity to remember our Founder’s vision which guided the Group’s expansion and diversification goals.”.
Satish Bala Malhotra, Chairperson of MBD Group said, “Shri Malhotra was a dynamic leader and believed in the power of education as a tool of change and empowerment. Also, being an entrepreneur par excellence, he envisioned the Group’s diversification into other sectors and it was under his aegis that the company, initially having roots in education sector diversified into various other verticals such as printing press, e-learning to hospitality, retail and design and construction in India and abroad.”
Some of the key highlights of the Group’s successful journey are as under:
- MBD (Malhotra Book Depot) started in Jalandhar in 1956
- Launch of MBD Refresher Guides and all India Graduate Books in 1968 & 1972
- Started publishing books under Modern and Holyfaith International from Nursery to Class 12th in 1986
- Started exporting books to SAARC Nations, South Africa and Sri Lanka in 1996
- Launched e-Learning vertical MBD Alchemie in 1998
- Launch of first five-star deluxe hotel of Noida Radisson Blu MBD Noida in 2003
- Started operations of MBD Paper Mill Ludhiana in 2010
- Launch of Radisson Blu MBD Ludhiana, first International Publishing office in South Africa & MBD Neopolis Jalandhar in 2012
- Launch of a new business vertical Nytra in 2013
- JV between MBD and Steigenberger in 2016
- Launch of MBD Express, the company’s organic brand in 2019
- Launched “AASOKA” – the Powering, Adaptive and Personalised Learning app in 2021
MBD is the only publishing house in India with complete backward and forward integration, right from self-owned paper manufacturing unit to in-house pre-press facilities, in-house printing and binding units, and also its own distribution network with 29 branch offices pan India. The group has also ventured into the South African and Sri-Lankan markets with its basket of education services.